Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Why I got a Snickers Tattoo.


When I was a kid I spent my weekends with my dad dove hunting or fishing. For a few years we were together doing something most weekends.  My little brothers weren’t old enough to go so it was just dad and me roaming the dove fields and ponds of North Georgia.
The very first time we went hunting my dad gave me a Snickers……I hated it!  When he wasn’t looking I threw the candy bar in the woods.  He never knew how nasty I thought it was.
From then on out every time we went hunting or fishing he’d buy Snickers for us to snack on.  I’d open them up; wait for him not to be looking and the toss the Snickers into the woods or lake.  He had no clue that I did not like them.  One day he and my mom went shopping for a hunting trip, he got a bag of Snickers for us; mom saw them and told him I hated Snickers and that I had been throwing them away for years.
The next morning we went hunting, he gave me some Snickers and told me he wanted to see me eat one.  I was busted!  He laughed.  From that day forward he always gave me one Snickers when we went off hunting or fishing.
This coming April will be six years since dad died.  The last day I was with him he and I went to the place we used to hunt.  We spent the day in my truck riding around the farm, talking about hunting and fishing, all the things we had seen and done together. It was a great day.  He gave me Snickers.
That afternoon I took him home.  I was supposed to fly to Louisiana to go on a fishing trip.  When we got to his house, I told him and mom I was going to cancel my trip and stay with them.  Dad said no, he said to go fishing and he see me when I got back. I did what I was told.  My flight arrived late in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  I went to get my bags; my brother called.  Dad had died.
They last thing dad gave me was a Snickers bar.
My dad was always there when I needed him.  He never gave up on me, when I screwed up he picked me up dust me off and get me back on my feet. This past year has been hard on me, full of fear, loneliness and heart ache. The tattoo reminds me of my dad.  It says you are not alone, I am here with you.
I miss you dad.
Love, PWH


No comments:

Post a Comment